Wednesday, March 17, 2010

I'm gonna slug you!

I love TV. Seriously. My DVR subscription and I have been together since December of 2004 and we are still blissfully in love. (Except that Charter's service pales in comparison to Cox, but I still love it). I know I'm supposed to keep my kids away from the evilness that is TV, kids that watch TV are obese, have brain rot, have developmental delays, social delays, aren't very smart, have short attention spans, I could go on. I grew up watching TV and playing outside. So do my kids. I am not a Mom that declares TV off limits, and sometimes, they probably watch too much TV. But I'm not a hypocrite. I know lots of Moms that say their kids only watch TV for an hour or so a day. Then how in the world do they know every character on Nick Jr, Noggin or Cartoon Network? (Side note, I've known kids that couldn't watch TV or eat sugar or play like kids and they were odd deprived kids) Be the best Mom you can be, but be real. Sometimes I forget to brush the kid's teeth, they drink too much juice and probably eat too much candy, we talk about ghosts and shoot each other and fall down dead, they play in the mud and splash in puddles in the rain, we jump off the couch onto pillow piles, and I let my kids play in the backyard by themselves (I do hover near the window). Gasp! How terrible am I? We also eat lots of fruits, veggies and milk, floss our teeth, play school and do workbooks (Gracie too), watch documentaries, go to the park, ride bikes, talk about heaven and God and Jesus and death, if any of that makes me a bad Mom, then so be it, but my kids are awesome! (As I type this, The Loud One comes in to ask if they can have some almonds for a snack) Now that I'm off my soapbox...

It didn't really occur to me that cartoons were violent, I mean I watched them as a kid, but I didn't get that takeaway so I assumed Bugs Bunny, The Peanuts and Pink Panther were fine. Much better than the grossness of ones I see today like Chowder or even Spongebob sometimes.(Which does not deter me from letting the kids watch them) The Loud One likes to play "shooters," he doesn't even know they're called guns. I wondered where the shooter thing came from and realized Elmer Fudd shoots at Bugs in every episode, and Sylvester tries to eat Tweety, Tom tried to eat Jerry and Jerry beats the crap out of him. My kids loooove these! We like Dora and Diego and can speak a little Spanish, even Chinese from Kai Lan, but nothing compares to the beatdown of our cartoons.

(Keep in mind that Kitty really likes Charlie Brown) Kitty does not like me to sing her name in songs, so I do it all the time. I was in the bathroom on the potty and she poked her head in and said, "Stop sin-in' my name song or I'm a gonna slug you!" (I laughed and told her it's not nice when Lucy says it, so it's not nice for Kitty to say it) She then turned around and looked at me in the eye and said, "Ok, but if you sin my name song again, I'm a gonna slug you off the potty!" and left. I laughed harder (what a funny image) and missed my teaching moment because I couldn't stop laughing. Damn, I guess she told me.

No comments:

Post a Comment